On Dublin Street by Samantha Young

4:30 PM 0 Comments A + a -






On Dublin Street
Author: Samantha Young

Publisher: NAL

Release Date: August 31, 2012

Summary:

Jocelyn Butler has been hiding from her past for years. But all her secrets are about to be laid bare…

Four years ago, Jocelyn left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Scotland, burying her grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without attachments. Her solitary life is working well—until she moves into a new apartment on Dublin Street where she meets a man who shakes her carefully guarded world to its core.

Braden Carmichael is used to getting what he wants, and he’s determined to get Jocelyn into his bed. Knowing how skittish she is about entering a relationship, Braden proposes an arrangement that will satisfy their intense attraction without any strings attached.

But after an intrigued Jocelyn accepts, she realizes that Braden won’t be satisfied with just mind-blowing passion. The stubborn Scotsman is intent on truly knowing her… down to the very soul.


My Thoughts:
So, On Dublin Street was actually recommended to me by a few friends. *I'm sorry Alexis and Vange if you guys are reading this* I absolutely HATED this book.

Would you guys like to hear a little story? Okay, here it goes:


Once upon a time a girl who's parents die gets put in foster care (although her parents had lots of friends that could have taken her) and gets an inheritance for when she turns eighteen. This disaster makes her start a wild/party life where she sleeps around. Then, she meets a rich business man with whom she falls in love with after initially starting a friends-with-benefits type relationship. Finally, a Big Thing happens that tears them apart before they get back together and live happily-ever-after. The End.

That right there, folks, is basically what happens in On Dublin Street. Cliche central, no?

Where to start after that? Maybe I'll just go into everything I didn't like about this book, but then that'd be a really long list, and it'd be easier to ask what I did like about it ( = nothing).

1. Braden says the word "Babe" not once, not twice, nor even just twenty times. He says it in every other sentence of dialogue that he has. I don't know about you guys, but the word "babe" does not feel like an endearment to me. It just reminds me of the pig Babe, and I'd rather not be called something that a pig was.

2. This really has nothing to do with the writing itself, but I just always read the name "Braden" as "Branden". 

3. Braden is very possessive, a creep, and a big douche. I just couldn't get over his high-handedness throughout the whole book. He even continues on calling her Jocelyn when she repeatedly told him that she wanted to be called Joss. If I were Joss, I would have moved out of the apartment as soon as I had found out that Braden owned it.

4. He makes her do what he wants, like she doesn't have opinions and decisions of her own. For example, he doesn't want to "share" her with any conceived suitors that she may or may not have, and even beats up someone who flirts with her. You guys want to know what really drove me crazy? He tells her that she can't wear her hair down. He seriously does:

"You look beautiful, Jocelyn."
My stomach flipped again and I smiled softly. "Thank you."
"But you need to put your hair up." Wat?
....
"Because," ... "I like being the only man who knows how beautiful your hair is."

WTH? At this point, Braden's character started feeling a bit more possessive than originally thought (see #3) and he made me feel like the whole "If I can't have you, then nobody can!" wouldn't be far from his mind if she were to break it off with him or something.

5. None of the characters seemed real to me, were bigger than life, and very cliche-y. I (personally) absolutely hate that in books ( #3, below #1, no plot and #2 the use of "babe"). 

6. So. Many. Errors. It was like: 


And errors is #4, right below cliche-y books (see #5^^). If any authors and/or editors are reading this, please, please, please watch for the your-you're, there-their and to-too. It gets quite annoying after a while.

7. I'm completely fine with characters cussing. I mean, I'm around it everyday, and that just makes the characters seem more real, correct? Well, in real life people do not say "f*ck" and "sh*t" as much as Joss says it. It was said almost as much as Braden said "babe". Oh, and don't forget Braden saying that little f-bomb every so more-than-often.

8. I wish Joss's back story was explained a little more. A lot of the time when I was trying to rationalize what was happening and decide if I liked Joss (I decided that I liked her a little, definitely more than Braden, but less than Ellie), I was left floundering because I didn't have that great of a clue about her family, her life before.

9. Last but not definitely not least, why why why did they have to feel insta-lust/chemistry/attraction so soon i.e. the cab scene? This is getting back into my hate for cliche (# 5), but seriously, why?

So. That's it. My opinion letting on this disaster of a book is complete. But seriously, don't let my opinion on this book deter you from reading it. You may or may not like it, or in my case absolutely detest it's guts. 

This book receives no hearts. None at all.


I love it when people comment! :D